Gift of Annelies and Helmut Herz
Id no. 408.89, Photograph
The ?illegal? immigration ship Ha-Umot Ha-meukhadot [United Nations] upon its arrival to the shores of Palestine. The ship, originally called the Archimedes, left Vecchia, Italy on December 24, 1947 and succeeded in breaking the British blockade of Palestine, which limited the number of Jews legally allowed to enter the country.
The ship docked in Naharia on January 1, 1948. As she approached the city, civilians and Haganah members went out into the water to help the 537 passengers come to shore and evade British authorities.